This position is responsible for the proper, effective, and safe fitting and joining of panels and various components/parts together with select welding processes and procedures.
2nd shift: 2:30pm – 11:00pm, Monday – Friday
$20.00/base with $1.00/shift differential
- Welds galvanized steel in a flat and horizontal position.
- Set-up equipment and weld components using gas-shielded arc and spot- welding equipment. Set up of welding equipment is accomplished via referencing the Prescient Welding Procedure Specification which outlines the proper settings for the equipment.
- Ensure all equipment is properly set-up and used in a safe manner and that all safety devices are in use.
- Analyze blueprints, specifications, work orders, and material safety data sheets to plan welding operations.
- Position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly/tacking and or welding.
- Chip or grind off excess weld, or spatter, using portable grinders.
- Wear the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including FR shirt, welding helmet, respirator, weld gloves, weld sleeves, weld bibs (if desired), safety glasses, steel toed boots and hearing protection.
- Determine required equipment and welding methods via established work procedures including the Prescient Welding Procedure Specification and apply proper welding techniques.
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment to fuse metal segments, using processes such as, gas metal arc welding, within the parameters outlined in work procedures.
- Inspect welded joints to ensure welds meet standard requirements and spray the welds with galv spray as required. Examines work pieces for defects.
- Monitor welding processes to avoid overheating of parts or warping, shrinking, distortion, or expansion of material.
- Brush welds as required to facilitate Certified Weld Inspector (CWI) inspection and repair welds as directed by the CWI.
- Repairs product by dismantling, straightening, reshaping, and reassembling parts.
- Detect faulty operation of equipment or defective materials and notify supervisors.
- Proper use and technique of operating overhead crane to maneuver components for welding.
- Maintain good attendance and punctuality
- Other job- related duties as may be necessary to carry out the responsibilities of this position.
- Work to continuously improve the operations of the department through Lean activities and improvement suggestions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor, including housekeeping and work in other production areas.
- High school diploma or six months to one year of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Welding certificate highly preferred
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Ability to MIG weld
- Ability to use hand tools such as grinder, bander, and pliers
- Ability to use tape measure, box caliper, and micrometer
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Able to work shift hours, weekends and overtime as necessary.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position have no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment: This position operates in an industrial manufacturing environment that is not climate controlled and experiences changing temperatures, noises from the use of industrial equipment and atmospheric conditions such as welding smoke and grinding dust.
Production operations require the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, steel toed work boots, welding hood, respirators, welding gloves, sleeves and other PPE as required to weld safety. Loose fitting clothes are not permitted.
Position Type: This is a full time, non-exempt level positions. Hours are dependent on the shift worked.
Physical Demands: The employee is frequently required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls and to climb or balance. The employee is required to walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, and talk and hear.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Other requirements include:
- Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Must be able to push and pull a maximum force in excess of 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work proficiently with hands and wrists and be able to grasp objects
- Must be able to stand and walk for up to 12 hours
- Must be able to recognize, set up, and operate hand and power tools
- Must be able to operate machinery and be able to operate foot controls on equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Hourly Pay Rate:
$1.00/Hr. differential for second shift.
- Medical & Dental Insurance (Employee premium is 100% paid by Prescient)
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Basic Employee Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Critical Illness and Accident supplemental insurance
- Employee Assistant Program
- 401(k) Plan with safe harbor match
Equal Employment Opportunity and Unlawful Harassment
Prescient is an Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law.