This role is responsible for technical excellence in product and building design. This position reviews and provides guidance for technical content related to structural engineering, fire, and sound compliance. The Technical Director strives for a pro-active approach to guiding and managing technical content for design, drawing production, research & development, and other functions throughout the company. This position is a point of escalation for technical issues and is responsible for finding a resolution for technical issues. Although the primary focus is not project management for building design, this position may act in this role and as an Engineer-of-Record. Due to the cross-functional nature of Prescient, the Technical Director is responsible for understanding the limitations of all groups within Prescient.
- Achievement – The drive to work towards a standard of excellence. It may reflect individual performance, improvement, result orientation, competitiveness, challenging goals, or innovation.
- Teamwork- The readiness to take on the role of team member (as opposed to leader), and to work cooperatively with others. It involves working together, as opposed to working separately or competitively. The team is a group of any size, with or without formal structure, working toward a common objective.
- Organizational Awareness. The ability to understand power relationships within the organization or in other relevant organizations. This includes the ability to identify who the real decision-makers and stakeholders are; the individuals who can influence them; and to predict how new events or situations will affect individuals and groups within the organization.
- Initiative– The action taken to address a current or future problem, obstacle, or opportunity. Initiative should be seen in the context of proactively doing things and not simply thinking about future actions.
- Analytical, Problem Solving, and Decision-Making Skills – Ability to solve complex problems and clearly communicate decisions based on business needs.
- Results Focused – Drive to achieve or exceed targets and goals within a determined timeframe and quality expectations.
- Change Leadership Skills – Initiates and manages change. The ability to energize and alert groups to the need for specific changes in the way things are done.
- Impact and Influence– The intention to persuade or convince others to get their support. It is based on the intent to have a specific impact or effect on the behavior of others who have their own agendas.
- Professionalism/Communication Skills – The ability to behave professionally with all levels of the organization. Demonstrate high standards and good communication skills with subordinates, colleagues, suppliers, vendors and others in the organization.
- Implement working education and experienced-based knowledge of; structural steel, light-gauge steel, and concrete engineering to oversee and provide structural engineering guidance for product design and building design process. Building construction types will be a mixture of prefabricated components and potentially cast-in-place concrete.
- Full understanding of fire and sound testing and reports.
- Monitor and control the project’s scope, budget, schedule, quality, resources, and stakeholder management.
- Act in Responsible Charge or Engineer-of-Record, as defined by the project’s state, of structural engineering services.
- Provide guidance and review work of subordinate’s engineering work.
- Provide continued mentorship to less experienced engineers.
- Implement original engineering knowledge to guide economical product and project solutions.
- Serves as point of escalation for technical issues and is responsible for finding a resolution for technical issues.
- Be proactive in suggesting and implementing operational changes, as seen appropriate, that would create economy in design time and material required.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil or Architectural Engineering (ABET Accredited) with a structural emphasis.
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (ABET Accredited) with structural depth.
- Minimum 5 to 10 years of design experience, depending on experience type.
- Civil Professional Engineer registration (PE) by examination with structural depth.
- Structural Engineer (SE) registration in any state or ability to be registered in upcoming years.
- California Professional Engineer (PE) registration or ability to be registered in upcoming years.
- Experience must be with building structural design. Material design experience must include structural steel, light-gauge steel, masonry, and cast-in-place concrete.
- Post-tensioned concrete design experience preferred. Experience successfully implementing the project management body of knowledge.
- Working knowledge of current industry software including Revit, MS Office, RAM Concept, ETABS, ROBOT, LPILE, ENERCALC, SP Column and RISA-3D is preferred
- High seismic, SDC D or greater design experience and knowledge base.
- Business development experience a plus, but not required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Has supervisory and management responsibilities over designers and design managers
Work Environment: This position operates in a typical office environment.
Position Type: This is a full-time, exempt-level position.
Physical Demands: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required, which would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary. Some light walking around the office is necessary. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.