This role is responsible for structural engineering project management and success on multi-family and multi-use building construction types. Performing engineering oversight in Responsible Charge, as defined by state regulations, on multiple projects simultaneously. Structural Project Managers are responsible for the structural engineering; scope, budget, schedule, quality, resources, and stakeholder management both internally and externally. Mentorship to subordinate engineers while being pro-active in company and department development is expected. Business development participation, as a technical lead, is required.
- Achievement– This is the drive to work towards a standard of excellence. It may reflect individual performance, improvement, result orientation, competitiveness, challenging goals, or innovation.
- Initiative– Action taken to address a current or future problem, obstacle, or opportunity. Initiative should be seen in the context of proactively doing things and not simply thinking about future actions.
- Analytical, Problem Solving, and Decision- Making Skills – Ability to solve complex problems and clearly communicating decisions based on business needs.
- Results Focused – Drive to achieve or exceed targets and goals within a determined timeframe and quality expectations.
- Impact and Influence– Implies the intention to persuade or convince others to get their support. It is based on the intent to have a specific impact or effect on the behavior of others who have their own agendas.
- Change Leadership– Initiates and manages change. Has the ability to energize and alert groups to the need for specific changes in the way things are done.
- Organizational Awareness- The ability to understand power relationships within the organization or in other relevant organizations. This includes the ability to identify who the real decision-makers and stakeholders are; the individuals who can influence them; and to predict how new events or situations will affect individuals and groups within the organization.
- Teamwork- Implies the readiness to take on the role of a team member (as opposed to leader), and to work cooperatively with others. It involves working together, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Professionalism/Communication Skills – The ability to behave professionally with all levels of the organization. Demonstrate high standards and good communication skills with colleagues, suppliers, vendors, and others in the organization.
- Implement working education and experienced-based knowledge of; structural steel, light-gauge steel, and concrete engineering to oversee and provide guidance for structural drawings and calculations for building construction of up to 17 stories in height. Building construction types will be a mixture of pre-fabricated components and potentially cast-in-place concrete.
- Monitor and control project’s; scope, budget, schedule, quality, resources and stakeholder management.
- Act in Responsible Charge, as defined by the project’s state, of structural engineering services.
- Provide guidance and review work of subordinate’s engineering work.
- Provide continued mentorship to less experienced engineers.
- Implement original engineering knowledge to guide economical project solutions.
- Be pro-active in suggesting and implementing operational changes, as seen appropriate, that would create economy in design time and material required.
- Responsibilities may include hiring, training, planning, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and counseling direct reports, addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor
- Bachelor of Science in Civil or Architectural Engineering (ABET Accredited) with structural emphasis.
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (ABET Accredited) with structural depth.
- Minimum 10 years of design experience.
- Civil Professional Engineer registration (PE) by examination with structural depth.
- Structural Engineer (SE) registration in any state.
- California Professional Engineer (PE) registration a plus.
- Experience must be with building structural design. Material design experience must include structural steel, light-gauge steel, masonry, and cast-in-place concrete. Post-tensioned concrete design experience preferred. Knowledge of seismic design for SDC D and above is required.
- Experience successfully implementing the project management body of knowledge
- Working knowledge of current industry software including Revit, MS Office, RAM Concept, ETABS, ROBOT, LPILE, ENERCALC, SP Column, and RISA-3D is preferred
- Federal project experience a plus.
- Seismic design experience required.
- Business development experience a plus.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This role has supervisory and management responsibilities over designers and design managers.
Work Environment: This role typically works in an office environment and uses a computer, telephone, and other office equipment as needed to perform duties. The noise level in the work environment is typical of that of an office. Incumbent may encounter frequent interruptions throughout the workday.
Position Type: This is a full-time, exempt level position.
Physical Demands: The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear; frequently required to use repetitive hand motion, handle or feel, and to stand, walk, reach, bend or lift up to 20 pounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Unlawful Harassment
Prescient is an Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law.