The Estimator collects and analyzes data in order to estimate the time, money, materials, and labor required to manufacture our products and construct our building. The Estimator provides support to the project managers. The role of the Estimator starts by developing initial pricing indications for the business development process and continuous through the design process by providing regular pricing updates, budget proposals and proposals documents. The Estimator will also prepare change orders during the construction/assembly phases.
The Estimator reports to the Chief Estimator.
- Analytical skills. Accurately evaluating detailed and drawings. Ability to determine how to minimize costs without sacrificing quality.
- Detail oriented. Ability to pay attention to small details.
- Technical skills. Detailed knowledge of industry processes, materials, and costs. Must be able to use specialized computer programs to calculate equations and handle large databases – i.e. excel, blue beam,
- Time-management skills. plan work in advance and work efficiently and accurately.
- Writing skills. must be able to write detailed reports to determine whether or not contracts are awarded or products are manufactured.
Analyzing Information, Developing Budgets, Vendor Relationships, Reporting Skills, Estimating, Decision Making, Teamwork, Documentation Skills, Quality Focus
- Rapidly and accurately assemble and communicate estimates from the conceptual to detailed bids.
- Resolve problems in a timely manner, analyzing data and developing creative, resourceful solutions while taking calculated risks.
- Prepares work to be accomplished by gathering information and requirements; setting priorities.
- Prepares pricing indications, budgets and pricing proposals by studying plans, sections and elevations; updating specifications; identifying and projecting costs for each elevations.
- Evaluates offers to purchase by costing changes, additions, and site requirements.
- Obtains bids from vendors and subcontractors by specifying materials; identifying qualified subcontractors; negotiating price.
- Maintains cost keys and price masters by updating information.
- Resolves cost discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintains quality service by following organization standards.
- Maintains continuity among corporate, division, and local work teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Recommends ways to make the product and/or installation more efficient and cost effective.
- Develops plans for the duration of the project and works together with the field team to assess opportunities to expedite the installation process.
- Travels to the job site to obtain information needed for cost management.
- Collaborates with architects, engineers, contractors to develop cost estimates
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time, exempt level position.
This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required, which would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Some light walking around the office is necessary.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Unlawful Harassment
Prescient is an Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law.