The Network Security Engineer is responsible for operating the network reliably and at scale. As a member of the IT team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues. Prescient’s network generates a constant stream of challenges which requires you to continually be innovative with an evolving set of technologies. Keeping the network reliable ensures that our users stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
In addition, the Network Engineer will plan and implement security measures to protect our network and systems from cyber-attacks, intrusion, infiltration, and natural disasters.
- Coordinating and executing network hardware installation and configuration
- Datacenter design and best practices
- Analyzing situations and problem-solving under pressure
- Leading and executing network deployment projects
- Working with limited supervision
- Time and project management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a fast-paced, technical environment
- Deploy and support our global production and corporate network including edge, backbone, and data center infrastructure.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance (Remote and/or on-site) to our users and the IT team in our data center and physical sites.
- Perform fault isolation and trouble resolution on network hardware, software, and circuits.
- Schedule and perform network maintenance including repairs, upgrades, and migrations.
- Perform on-going optimization of the network devices to ensure adequate capacity, availability, and scalability.
- Maintain asset database for installed network gear and work with vendors on RMAs.
- Maintain technical and training documentation, develop automation and tooling as needed.
- Participate in on-call activities and follow the escalation process to support the infrastructure 24/7.
- Proactively contribute to documentation, automation, and processes improvement.
- Assist in designing and planning future network changes including licensing and equipment purchases.
- Be a point of contact for troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Monitor network performance and take steps to ensure efficiency and up-time requirements are met.
- Maintain records necessary for network audit and security compliance.
- Maintain proper backup procedures and ensure backup validity.
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting IP routing/switching technologies and protocols including TCP/IP, BGP, OSPF, MPLS, VLAN, Trunking, Port-Channeling, DMVPN, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of Layer 7 app aware firewalls (Palo Alto desired)
- Desired Cisco Certifications and/or Palo Alto Certifications.
- Palo Alto Networks (220, 500, 850, 3020, VM100), Cisco routers and switches (ISR 4331, Catalyst – 4500, 9500, 2960), Aruba (Airwave and Instant AP), Cisco Wireless, Kemp Load Balancers, and Extreme EXOS switches and Extreme Wireless experience is essential.
- Practical experience managing SolarWinds, Nessus, and PRTG monitoring systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, MIS or equivalent experience (5-8+ years desired)
- IT certifications such as CCNA/CCNP, and CISSP desired
- 5-8+ years of practical experience support in Networking, TCP/IP setup and configuration, Cisco Routers/Switches, and app aware layer 7 firewalls.
- Holistic understanding of network components and systems integration.
- Experience with network design and topography.
- Familiarity with cloud environments, design, limitations, and optimizations. Azure preferred.
- Strong understanding of security practices in the data center as well as the cloud.
- Thorough knowledge of network security including intrusion detection and prevention at all levels of the network.
- Strong, proven experience negotiating with and managing third-party IT vendors, consultants, and service providers.
- Ability to deliver clear and concise runbooks, network diagrams, and other types of documentation.
This job operates in a professional office environment.
This is a full-time, exempt level position.
This is a largely sedentary role; however, some moderate lifting up to 75 lbs. is required, which could include bending or standing on a stool or ladder as necessary. Some light walking around the office is necessary.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Prescient is an Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law.