The Materials Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of planning, inventory, and scheduling in support of manufacturing processes, from planning and procurement of goods, production line scheduling, capacity planning, inventory, receiving, material movement and cycle counts. This role leads the planning, raw material warehouse, and scheduling teams to ensure accuracy of schedules, and mitigation of production gaps and material shortages.
• Organize and coordinate planning, buyers, and warehouse department operational goals and priorities in a way that will ensure maximum departmental productivity and improve accuracy of planning, scheduling, and inventory management.
• Coach, empower, and motivate employees to maximize impact and support development.
• Develop, implement, and oversee planning, scheduling, and inventory processes and tools to maximize department deliverables to goals and objectives.
• Monitor planning KPIs and partner with plant managers to communicate demand, create capacity timeline goals to meet demand, and maximize capacity utilization.
• Participate in strategic S&OP meeting, providing necessary updates and information on manufacturing release gaps, capacity and staffing needs, and any other relevant long- term planning challenges.
• Identify, develop, and manage effective relationships with existing and potential suppliers of goods and services.
• Manages inventory loss and gain and provides insights to process gaps that drive results. Provides guidance regarding inventory variances.
• Conduct employee training, as necessary.
• Develops and implements standard operating procedures and work instructions.
• Confers with other departments to coordinate flow of materials and resolve errors.
• Supports environment focused on safety
• Supports achievement of production targets and commitments
• Supports lean initiatives
• Manage RAIL (rolling action item list)
• Up to 25% travel required
• Conduct employee reviews and provide feedback
• Manage and track supplier scorecards
• Ensuring all department trackers and tools are kept up to date
• Manage material forecasting process and ensure timely communication of information, along with reporting on consumption to contracts
1. Industry Knowledge – Knowledge of the steel and manufacturing industries. Ability to anticipate trends in the market and establish long term business plans.
2. Knowledge of Lean manufacturing principles – Knowledge of Lean tools, 5S, Six Sigma, Value Stream Mapping and Kaizen events. 3. Administration and Employee Management – Experience overseeing and/or directing both exempt and non-exempt employees. Knowledge of business and management principles involved in tactical planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, production methods.
4. Analytical, Problem Solving and Decision- Making Skills – Ability to solve complex problems and clearly communicating decisions based on business needs.
5. Results Focused – Drive to achieve or exceed targets and goals within determined timeframe and quality expectations.
6. Leadership Skills – Ability to lead and direct a large diverse workforce towards company goals and objectives and the ability to hold people accountable to achieve those goals.
7. Conflict Resolution Skills- Ability to identify and address differences between groups or individuals and find common grounds that enables everyone to work together.
8. Professionalism/Communication Skills – The ability to behave professionally with all levels of the organization. Demonstrate high standards and good communication skills with subordinates, colleagues, suppliers, vendors and others in the organization.
• High School diploma required. Certificate or Degree in business, Supply Chain or related field highly preferred.
• Experience in using various types of manufacturing machinery and tools.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
• 5- 7 years of proven experience in a Supervisory or similar role building teams, developing direct reports & managing in a dynamic work environment.
• Inventory control experience and warehouse operations in an ERP environment highly preferred.
• Must have strong leadership, oral and written presentation communication skills, team player mentality, negotiation skills, self-motivation and a contributor attitude.
• Ability to handle a fast pace working environment, changing production demands and a willingness to work weekends as needed if project demands.
Manages Buyers/Planners/Warehouse/Receiving as needed across single site.
Responsible for 15+ employees consisting of direct and indirect
Work Environment: Typical office environment
This position also operates in an industrial manufacturing environment subject to environmental conditions that occurs indoors/outdoors which includes but is not limited to exposure to changing temperatures, noises from use of industrial equipment and atmospheric conditions such as welding smoke and grinding dust.
Production operation requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, steel toed work boots, welding hood, respirators, welding gloves, sleeves and other PPE as required to weld safety. Loose fitting clothes are not permitted
Position Type: This is a full time, exempt level position
Physical Demands: The position will require walking in the plant for the duration of their day. The employee must regularly lift and move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Other requirements include:
• Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 50 lbs.
• Must be able to push and pull a maximum force in excess of 50 lbs
• Must be able to work proficiently with hands and wrists and be able to grasp objects
• Must be able to stand and walk for up to 12 hours
• Must be able to recognize, set up, and operate hand and power tools
• Must be comfortable
• Must be able to operate machinery and be able to operate foot controls on equipment
Medical & Dental Insurance (Employee premium is 100% paid by Prescient)
Flexible Spending Account
Health Savings Account
Basic Employee Life Insurance
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Critical Illness and Accident supplemental insurance
Employee Assistant Program
401(k) Plan with safe harbor match
Prescient is an Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Salary Range: 90k – 105k
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.