The Materials Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of planning, inventory, and scheduling in support of manufacturing processes, from planning and procurement of goods, production line scheduling, capacity planning, inventory and cycle counts, and support of the S&OP (sales and operation plan) and AOP (annual operation plan) process. This role leads the planning, material warehouse, and scheduling teams to ensure accuracy of schedules, and mitigation of production gaps and material shortages. The planning leader will also play a pivotal role in the development of the S&OP process between manufacturing, design, project management, logistics, and BD departments.
- Organize and coordinate planning, buyers, and warehouse department operational goals and priorities in a way that will ensure maximum departmental productivity and improve the accuracy of planning, scheduling, and inventory management
- Coach, empower and motivate employees to maximize impact and support development
- Develop, implement, and oversee the planning, scheduling, and inventory processes and tools to maximize department deliverables to goals and objectives
- Conduct operational S&OP meetings and facilitate problem resolution for schedule delays between manufacturing, design, logistics, and project management.
- Monitor planning KPIs and partner with plant managers and inventory managers to communicate demand, create capacity timeline goals to meet demand, and maximize capacity utilization.
- Participate in strategic S&OP meetings, providing necessary updates and information on manufacturing release gaps, capacity and staffing needs, and any other relevant long-term planning challenges.
- Manage and maintain capacity model and demand plan for production facilities
- Identify, develop, and manage effective relationships with existing and potential suppliers of goods and services
- Manages inventory loss and gain and provides insights to process gaps that drive results. Provides guidance regarding inventory variances.
- Conduct employee training in inventory operations and work and safety procedures as necessary.
- Develops and implements standard operating procedures for inventory control, including proper locations, and product number labels.
- Confers with other departments to coordinate the flow of materials and resolve errors.
- Supports environment focused on safety
- Supports achievement of production targets and commitments
- Supports lean initiatives
- Manage RAIL (rolling action item list)
- Up to 25% travel required
- Conduct employee reviews and provide feedback
- Manage and track supplier scorecards
- Ensuring all department trackers and tools are kept up to date
- Manage material forecasting process and ensure timely communication of information, along with reporting on consumption to contracts
- Experience in using various types of manufacturing machinery and tools.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- High School diploma required. Certificate or Degree in business, Supply Chain, or related field highly preferred.
- 5- 7 years of proven experience in a Supervisory or similar role building teams, developing direct reports & managing in a dynamic work environment.
- Inventory control experience and warehouse operations in an ERP environment highly preferred.
- Must have strong leadership, oral and written presentation communication skills, team player mentality, negotiation skills, self-motivation and a contributor attitude.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple production demands, and a willingness to work weekends as needed based on project demands.
- Industry Knowledge – Knowledge of the steel and manufacturing industries. Ability to anticipate trends in the market and establish long-term business plans.
- Knowledge of Lean manufacturing principles – Knowledge of Lean tools, 5S, Six Sigma, Value Stream Mapping, and Kaizen events.
- Administration and Employee Management – Experience overseeing and/or directing both exempt and non-exempt employees. Knowledge of business and management principles involved in tactical planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, and production methods.
- Analytical, Problem Solving, and Decision-Making Skills – Ability to solve complex problems and clearly communicating decisions based on business needs.
- Results Focused – Drive to achieve or exceed targets and goals within a determined timeframe and quality expectations.
- Leadership Skills – Ability to lead and direct a large diverse workforce towards company goals and objectives and the ability to hold people accountable to achieve those goals.
- Conflict Resolution Skills– Ability to identify and address differences between groups or individuals and find common grounds that enable everyone to work together.
- Professionalism/Communication Skills – Ability to behave professionally with all levels of the organization. Demonstrate high standards and good communication skills with subordinates, colleagues, suppliers, vendors, and others in the organization.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Manages Buyers/Planners/Receiving Warehouse as needed. Responsible for 15+ employees consisting of direct and indirect.
Work Environment: Typical office environment. This position also operates in an industrial manufacturing environment subject to environmental conditions that occur indoors/outdoors which includes but is not limited to exposure to changing temperatures, and noises from the use of industrial equipment.
Position Type: This is a full time, exempt level position
- Medical & Dental Insurance (Employee premium is 100% paid by Prescient)
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Basic Employee Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Critical Illness and Accident supplemental insurance
- Employee Assistant Program
- 401(k) Plan with safe harbor match
Prescient is an Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law.