The primary role of the Business Development Director is to prospect for new clients by networking, cold calling, advertising or other means of generating interest from potential clients. This individual must then plan persuasive approaches and pitches that will convince potential clients to do business with our company. They must develop a rapport with new clients, and set targets for sales and provide support that will continually improve the relationship. They are also required to grow and retain existing accounts by presenting new solutions and services to clients. He/she may manage the activities of others responsible for developing business for the company. Strategic planning is a key part of this job. This requires a thorough knowledge of the market, the solutions/services the company can provide, and of the company’s competitors. Another important requirement will be an understanding and experience of architecture, construction and/or project management associated with multi-story buildings.
- Opportunity & Lead Generation
- Project Acquisition
- Project review and integration with the Prescient system.
- Client Strategy
- Marketing Deliverables
- Measurement & Improvement
- Prospect for potential new clients and turn this into increased business.
- Cold call as appropriate within your market or geographic area to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities.
- Meet potential clients by growing, maintaining, and leveraging your network.
- Identify potential clients and the decision-makers within the client organization.
- Research and build relationships with new clients.
- Set up meetings between client decision-makers and the company’s practice leaders/Principals.
- Plan approaches and pitches.
- Work with the team to develop proposals that speak to the client’s needs, concerns, and objectives.
- Participate in the optimization of the project to integrate with Prescient standard and coordinate with preconstruction to provide project pricing for the solution/service.
- Handle objections by clarifying, emphasizing agreements, and working through differences to a positive conclusion.
- Use a variety of styles to persuade or negotiate appropriately.
- Present an image that mirrors that of the client.
- Industry Organization and Association leadership
- Commercial real estate, construction, and/or architectural experience.
- Appropriate software skills
- Present new products and services and enhance existing relationships.
- Work with internal and external technical staff and other departments to meet customer needs.
- Arrange and participate in internal and external client debriefs.
Business Development Planning
- Attend industry functions, such as association events and conferences, and provide feedback and information on market and creative trends.
- Present to and consult with mid and senior level management on business trends with a view to developing new services, products, and distribution channels.
- Identify opportunities for campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in sales.
- Using knowledge of the market and competitors, identify and develop the company’s unique selling propositions and differentiators.
Management and Research
- Submit weekly progress reports and ensure data is accurate.
- Ensure that data is accurately entered and managed within the company’s CRM or other sales management system.
- Forecast sales targets and ensure they are met by the team.
- Track and record activity on accounts and help to close deals to meet these targets.
- Work with marketing staff to ensure that prerequisites (like prequalification or getting on a vendor list) are fulfilled in a timely manner.
- Ensure all team members represent the company in the best light.
- Present business development training and mentoring to business developers and other internal staff.
- Research and develop a thorough understanding of the company’s people and capabilities.
- Understand the company’s goal and purpose so that will continue to enhance the company’s performance.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment: This position operates in a typical office/remote environment.
Position Type: This is a full-time, exempt level position.
Physical Demands: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required, which would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary. Some light walking around the office is necessary.
Travel Demands: The position will require up to 75% travel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Unlawful Harassment
Prescient is an Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law.