The CWI is responsible for the weld quality of all Prescient manufactured components. They will ensure and maintain compliance with quality standards and the company’s procedures. The CWI reports directly to the Quality Manager.
- Performance: Safety, Quality, Accuracy, Timeliness, Reliability, and Thoroughness of work performed.
- Results Focused: Drive to achieve or exceed targets and goals within a determined timeframe and quality expectations.
- Attention to Detail: Achieves thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved.
- Basic Aptitude: Ability to learn, adapt, understand, and solve problems.
- Teamwork: Willingly cooperates and works collaboratively with others towards accomplishing department objectives.
- Valuing Diversity: Creates an atmosphere of valuing and accepting others.
- Professionalism/Communication Skills: The ability to behave professionally with all levels of the organization. Demonstrate high standards and good communication skills with colleagues and others in the organization
- Industry Knowledge: Knowledge of quality philosophy and principles. Applied knowledge of quality in a manufacturing environment, especially the relevant welding codes.
- Support quality programs by following all rules, established processes, and proper work procedures as defined by the supervisor, or written procedure.
- Monitor the execution of welding work in progress to ensure that it complies with the applicable codes, standards, and specific job requirements.
- Be responsible for overall weld quality, workmanship and for making sure that all weldments are 100% visually inspected.
- Be responsible for the execution of welding inspection procedures and protocols as specified in the company’s Quality Management System manuals and process documentation.
- Be responsible for assuring that only qualified and certified welders are used, as specified by contract documents for the welding process and procedures permitted for use.
- Be responsible for assuring continuity of the welders’ qualifications as required by the American Welding Society (AWS) D1.1 and D1.3.
- Evaluate completed weld elements for compliance with applicable codes, standards, and job requirements.
- Conducts inspection of welding equipment to ensure proper settings and operations.
- Responsible for making recommendations to improve the overall process and efficiency.
- Completing and submitting inspection, rework, and audits report in an efficient/timely manner.
- Develops work instructions, procedures, and assists with quality and manufacturing personnel training.
- Performing process audits as requested by the Quality Manager.
- Maintaining a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures and regulations.
- Maintain good attendance and punctuality
- Work to continuously improve the operations of the department through Lean activities and improvement suggestions.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Quality Manager.
- Must be a Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) in accordance with the provisions of AWS QC1 or the equivalent requirements of the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Standard W178.2 or ICC Structural Steel and Bolting Special Inspector, or Structural Welding Special Inspector.
- 5+ years of related work experience highly preferred
- Secondary education preferred
- Demonstrated experience working with a multifunctional team
- Demonstrated exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Passion and alignment with our mission, vision, values & operating principles
- Desire to own decisions and take responsibility for outcomes
- Ability and willingness to travel when required
- Continually embrace personal and professional development
- Ability to support multi-shift operations as needed
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Work Environment: This position operates in an industrial manufacturing environment that is not climate controlled and experiences changing temperatures, noises from the use of industrial equipment, and atmospheric conditions such as welding smoke and grinding dust.
Requires the use of safety equipment to include but not limited to; eye safety glasses, hearing protectors, steel-toed work boots, gloves, sleeves, and other PPE as required for safety. Loose-fitting clothes are not permitted.
Position Type: This is a full time, non-exempt level position.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to have the ability to concentrate and perform responsibilities by maintaining a constant state of focus and mental alertness. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to stand, use hands, and reach with arms. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee is required to frequently walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/ or move between 50-75 lbs. Specific vision requirements such as color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Unlawful Harassment
Prescient is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law.