The Buyer / Planner coordinates the complete cycle of materials from procurement, receiving, production scheduling, and shipping. This role will perform purchasing and scheduling functions for the assigned commodities/part families while interfacing with multiple departments to ensure timely production without gaps, while optimizing costs.
- Industry knowledge – Knowledge of the steel and construction industries. Ability to anticipate trends in the market and establish long term business plans.
- Relationship Management – Ability to leverage interpersonal skills to establish rapport and develop long lasting relationships with colleagues /team members.
- Analytical, Problem Solving and Decision Making Skills – Ability to solve both complex and uncomplicated problems, articulating clearly a decision that makes sense based on all available information.
- Results Focused- Drive to achieve or exceed targets and goals within determined timeframe and quality expectations.
- Professionalism/Communication Skills – The ability to think carefully about the likely effects on others of words, actions, appearance, and mode of behavior. A professional individual chooses the words and actions to influence others. Demonstrates high standards and good communication skills to vendors, suppliers and colleagues.
- Aptitude for Technology- Ability to learn and use technology effectively and quickly to manage production control requirements.
- Manage procurement of assigned commodities/part families including order placement, expediting, & discrepant material solutions.
- Analyze material requirements and monitor inventory levels to ensure uninterrupted flow of materials and services for assigned commodities/part families
- Mitigate material shortages and/or manufacturing release delays through direct involvement with design, production, and supplier resources.
- Manage suppliers for assigned commodities/part families. Track supplier issues and performance, and drive SCAR process to ensure supplier compliance.
- Manage production scheduling of assigned commodities/part families including staging/releasing orders to production, compiling reports, and maintaining tracking tools as necessary.
- Conduct weekly scheduling meetings with production team. Communicate weekly/monthly production goals and priorities.
- Participate in daily plant meetings and communicate priorities, goals, and critical planning updates
- Identify potential scheduling and planning issues; escalate, investigate, and recommend/initiate solutions
- Support operational S&OP meetings by providing necessary updates such as manufacturing release need dates, manufacturing completion estimates, and relevant schedule risks.
- Adheres to all applicable procedures, company policies and any other quality or regulatory requirements. (For example: IAS, OSHA, HS&E, etc.)
- Manage and update scheduling tools and applications as needed to support production
- Ability to work independently and make responsible and accountable decisions
- Ensuring all assigned tracking tools are up to date, including project dates
- Performing analysis on various production scenarios, such as comparing estimated completion dates with shipping need dates based on different constraints
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Typical office environment
This is a full time, exempt level position
This person must be able to perform normal office duties, sitting for extended periods of time and attending meetings as required. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The vision requirements include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus. Lifting requirements include lifting up to 50 pounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Unlawful Harassment
Prescient is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law.